[DC LoCo] Bridging the Digital Divide using DC Community Access Network

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 01:59:31 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Phil Shapiro <pshapiro at his.com> wrote:

> Hi ubuntistas,
>
>     An interesting blog post today on the Bread for the City web site about possible ways of bringing broadband in DC to those who are currently not online. (See http://tinyurl.com/d54f2ds)   I do some technology volunteering for Bread for the City and am impressed at the way they see technology access and technology training as vital to their mission of bringing greater inclusion to our city's residents. As you might know, Bread for the City is widely admired for the support they've given to many DC residents.

One of Skype's co-founders is starting a service that will use
LightSquared's 4G-LTE network, which he also co-founded, to offer free
wireless broadband to everyone in the US. The service is called
FreedomPop. Its not online yet because it requires LightSquared's
network, and that's going online soon but they aren't available in all
markets yet. Its one free wireless service I've heard will be going
online in a year or so.

www.freedompop.com

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts

You Can Teach Old Computers New Tricks http://www.ubuntu.com