[DC LoCo] A library doesn't need windows - Stewart Brand

Phil Shapiro pshapiro at his.com
Thu Dec 1 13:27:00 UTC 2011

Here is an interesting quote from Stewart Brand, the founder of the Whole Earth Catalog.

"A library doesn't need windows. A library is a window." Stewart Brand

As a library person, this resonated with me, so I posted this quote on Twitter a minute ago with the hashtags of:

#linux #FOSS

      Giggle,

           phil

For those of you born after 1980, the Whole Earth Catalog was a remarkable series of resource
books that in some ways resembled a very early hard copy version of the world wide web. I was
transfixed the first time I browsed thru the Whole Earth Catalog, when I first saw it in 1971.

The do-it-yourself ethic of the Whole Earth Catalog played an important role in launching
the personal computer revolution in the mid-1970's.