[DC LoCo] ownership and permissions

Jerry Stilkind jerryny at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 29 00:20:17 UTC 2011

Thank you Greg for your reply.  I am the Jerry that Kevin referred to.
I had been planning to post a question about ownership and permissions.
When and if I cleared that up, I would have asked about backup
programs.  Unfortunately, as has happened so often since Ubuntu, FF, TB,
Libre were installed, I had to first fix a problem (about receiving this
list) before I could get to the problem I wanted to ask about.

I have some folders and files on my hard drive, external hard drive and
thumb drive that I want to delete or move to trash or move elsewhere.  I
get messages when I try to do this such as:  "You are not the owner, so
you cannot change these permissions," or "the permissions of Maddog (my
external hard drive) could not be determined, or "the permissions of '/'
could not be determined," and the like.  I have spent hours and hours
going to permissions tabs at Properties on File System or individual
folders and changed or tried to change some settings, looked at support
pages and wound up sitting where I first started sitting, but with a
sore rear and mind.  Having just seen a play about a Faustian bargain; I
would be willing to go down that path if I can't get some help here.

I have been the sole user of my computer, I have administrative rights.
All folders and files are owned by root, some have permissions beginning
with dr, some with lr.

Would appreciate solutions in GUI.  I have several reasons why I don't
want to use Terminal -- in addition to not knowing how.  Help would be
greatly apprecciated.

Jerry

Message: 1