[DC LoCo] Ubuntu and the Law of Attraction

Robert Simmons rsimmons0 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 21:32:15 UTC 2011

Unfortunately the law of attraction is based on a logical fallacy called
affirming the consequent.

On Aug 13, 2011 4:59 PM, "Michael Haney" <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:

If you know what the Law of Attraction is, that's great.

I'm learning to follow its teachings because I want to improve my
life. You might be wondering what this has to do with Ubuntu.

Well, I've been using the teachings in an attempt to get a new
computer to run Ubuntu on. The story of why that is is a long one, way
too long for an email. Needless to say, due to technical issues in my
gaming PC I had to cannibalize my Ubuntu desktop to get it working
again. I did have a notebook, but it was DEAD. I tried to fix it, a
task I don't recommend if you don't know what you're doing. I used to
fix laptops for a living, so I do know what I'm doing. That machine
was DEAD, it would not stay powered on. It would try to start then
immediately power off, and after trying to fix it I couldn't get it to
stay on for more than 3 seconds. So I put it into a corner and let it
collect dust for six months.

Last weekend, I had to cannibalize my Linux box to replace a failing
drive I used to install Steam on my gaming PC. That was painful. My
Linux box still had another drive. An 80GB drive which was starting to
report SMART errors. I also had a 20GB drive from a dead machine I
acquired for parts from the College Park Freecycle Yahoo Group. I felt
strong resistance from within when I started working on the Linux box.
A feelings within was telling me to drag out my dead notebook and plug
it in. Knowing this was my Higher Self trying to tell me something I
complied.

The notebook booted, and stayed powered on.

The internal DVD-RW drive which stopped working last year still wasn't
being seen by Windows, so I did a factor reinstall and using Daemon
Tools mounted the Natty LiveCD and installed Ubuntu via Wubi. Ubuntu
ran better using Wubi than a fresh install of Vista, and even the
Wi-Fi was working! So I decided I wanted to make this machine a native
Linux notebook. I created a USB boot image, and went into the BIOS to
change the settings. The DVD-RW drive, which stopped working, was
listed by the BIOS where previously it wasn't. I got out a Natty
LiveCD, and it booted in the drive. I repartitioned the notebook
(preserving the recovery partition just in case) and haven't looked
back since. That was last weekend.  I even found a Linux version of
LogMeIn Hamachi and a GUI frontend that works, so I can access all of
my files on my 1TB USB drive connected my other desktop no matter
where I am as long as I have a good Internet connection. I love it,
finally a Linux machine I can really enjoy using!

For some time now I've been learning to use the teachings of New Age
philosophies from many sources such as the books of Neale Donald
Walsch, Bashar on Youtube, the Law of One, and the Law of Attraction
from Abraham-Hicks. Each give the same message, are totally unrelated
to one another, but use different terminology to express the exact
same idea. I find that amazing. Pick up three books on Bible
interpretation and each one will give you different answers. Since
getting involved in this I've seen and experienced a lot of things
which convince me its very real. There really is something to these
teachings.

My aim with this email isn't to recruit anyone into anything or
convert anyone. That is what Religion does. This isn't a religion but
a spiritual philosophy devoid of all the usual negative trappings of
religion (ie; the Dogma). I simply felt compelled to tell my story. If
this helps anyone, that's fine. If it doesn't, well that's fine too.
I'm not expecting anything from this, so don't get angry about the
subject matter. If this offended someone, I'm sorry.

Anyway, a notebook that I had professional declared dead is now fully
functional and running Ubuntu 11.04. Even Unity works! But, I found it
unstable and buggy, so I'm sticking with the Ubuntu Classic desktop.
I'm hoping Canonical can iron out Unity's issues with 11.10 or I'll
have to stick with this until the new LTS release.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: