[DC LoCo] Fwd: [HacDC:Blabber] Possible David-Eggers-style Writing Center in Columbia Heights?

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 15:10:49 BST 2010

Hiya gang,

Those of you in the education biz, pay attention!

Prolog: Dave Eggers won a TED prize for his "Once Upon a School" wish.
 See: http://blog.ted.com/2008/02/28/ted_prize_2008_1/ and
http://www.ted.com/speakers/dave_eggers.html Search the TED site for more.

Forwarded conversation
Subject: [HacDC:Blabber] Possible David-Eggers-style writing center in
Columbia Heights?
From: *Elliot Williams* <elliot at speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 18:05
To: blabber at hacdc.org

If you haven't heard about http://www.826valencia.org/ or similar, take a
minute to do some googling.  The premise:  David Eggers (author,
philanthropist) sets up a fake storefront that has a
kids-afterschool-writing-center behind it.

So I'm getting my empanada at Julia's last night (Park and 14th) and the
store next-next-door seems to be setting itself up as a Museum of Unnatural
History or some such.  I smell philanthropy.

Anyone know about this?  Go have a look.