[DC LoCo] PetaBox (was: "my next ubuntu computer")

Kenneth Stailey kstailey at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 19:25:33 BST 2010

--- On Fri, 9/24/10, Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [DC LoCo] PetaBox (was: "my next ubuntu computer")
> To: "Kenneth Stailey" <kstailey at yahoo.com>
> Cc: ubuntu-us-dc at lists.ubuntu.com, "Phil Shapiro" <pshapiro at his.com>
> Date: Friday, September 24, 2010, 12:20 PM
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 09:02,
> Kenneth Stailey <kstailey at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if the designs for the Petabox series
> is published and where?
>
> Only that no animals were harmed in the manufacture of the
> box. Heh. ;-)

Oh, I thought it was a People Eating Tasty Animals box...well, whatever.

I found it's a commercial product and the FAQ file says
http://www.capricorn-tech.com/faq.php#01
"Current pricing is well under $1.50/GB, typically, for most of our devices..."

Compared to DIY Backblaze pod which is about 88 cents / GB with 2TB drives providing 90TB raw.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/DIY-Backblaze-Pods/155986821097275

I'm inclined to think 66 cents/GB might be worth it for the support.  At least the Petabox drives are aligned for hot-swap.

But even without looking I can tell you there's no < $8K Petabox.  The bottom line has to be more expensive than a DIY Backblaze pod.