[DC LoCo] VLC Media Player for iPad

Kenneth Stailey kstailey at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 13:50:48 BST 2010

--- On Thu, 9/23/10, Phil Shapiro <pshapiro at his.com> wrote:

> From: Phil Shapiro <pshapiro at his.com>
> Subject: [DC LoCo] VLC Media Player for iPad
> To: ubuntu-us-dc at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 4:34 PM
> I'm real curious to know if the new
> VLC Media Player for iPad plays
> OGG (also called OGV) video files.
>
> see http://itunes.apple.com/app/vlc-media-player/id390885556#

Generally my experience with a portable video player is that you find the format that works best and use a general-purpose computer to transcode video into that format.

See post 44 here

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1017815&page=2

also

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_make_most_out_vlc_ipad

<< As far as we could tell, there were few files that VLC would play that the iPad couldn't. The app did manage to open a DivX encoded AVI file, so if you only want one alternate video app, VLC might be your choice. However, Ogg Theora was unsuccessful, as were Windows Movie files, digital video (.dv) files from a camcorder, FLV, MKV, and MPEG. iTunes claimed that they were loaded on to the iPad, but the app refused to recognize them. If you're a longtime Handbreak junkie, you may wish to steer clear of any of the aforementioned formats if you're planning an iPad video party. >>