[DC LoCo] building a computer from scratchthese days

Xian R. bowie101 at email.com
Tue Sep 21 19:50:33 BST 2010

 Hi all. I need to build a desktop from scratch these days. It will need Windows 7 (possibly XP, but it will need to have the capacity to upgrade to W7), and of course, Ubuntu, LTS.

I haven't been keeping up with all the latest and greatest in chip/processor/desktop technology. So in building a desktop from scratch these days, I'm looking for all manner of advice and tips. At the same time, we don't have thousands, we have possibly a few hundred...but that's all you need these days, right?

FWIW, I am looking to reuse parts of my old W2k, namely, my Gina Soundcard (echo audio?) and my old hard drives, as slaves.

This will also be a project that I do with my son, who has a new-found interest in this stuff (I think. Or so he tells me). We may end up building a separate one for him, as well.

Thanks, Christian