[DC LoCo] About M$ (WAS: The Final Straw)

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 21:00:55 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kevin Cole--
>
> Funny Jokes!
>
> The 2nd joke reminds me of something I read on some bulletin board:  To wit, that M$ had stacked some standards committee with their own operatives and that the result was (actually, is) that a proprietary format is now a technical and industry-wide standard.  Do you -- or anyone else -- know what the details are behind that allegation?

Yes, that'd be Office Open XML or OOXML.  It violates the XML
standards, yet somehow became a standard itself. Go figure!  Oh, and
MS Office 2007, which introduced that format, doesn't *actually*
follow the standard (which, by the way, is not very strictly defined,
so it's open to interpretation on implementation), so even if you
implement an interpreter for it based on the spec, that doesn't
actually guarantee you can open MS 2007 OOXML files.  Fun stuff!

--
Mackenzie Morgan