[DC LoCo] The Final Straw

Daniel Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 18:05:41 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com> wrote:
> If Ubuntu devs and Canonical folk are perceived as taking credit for
> changes made upstream, then they also need to be ready for the blame.

In some (many?) instances, they (we?) do.  At least on the audio
front, I've readily avowed my maintenance nightmare both upstream
drivers (plumbing) and userspace daemons.  A major headache stems from
the fact that we don't provide a more intuitive (and streamlined)
manner by which to verify fixes.  In the plumbing layers, this is
difficult: we have to unload and reload kernel modules, the acts of
which could be extremely disruptive (data loss from sessions
terminating, etc.).

> Educating the teeming masses is hard.

But that's why we have bugjams.  No, really!

-Dan