[DC LoCo] Microsoft OpenOffice FUD YouTube video

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 18:39:02 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:59, Keith Howell <keith.c.howell at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 10/14/2010 03:39 PM, Kevin Cole wrote:
> > I wish ads like this allowed the viewer to (a) pay attention to what's
> > being said rather than dazzle with all the varieties of ways one can
> > arrange words and animate them, and (b) not make me stop the video when
> > I want to know WHO is making the arguments.
>
> I just hit the pause button and can usually get the person making the
> quote.

When I said "stop" I meant "pause".  I don't want to pause the video just to
see who's making the argument.

However I think this reasoning is flawed on many levels.

>        1) Companies go out of business (ok, not M$ [yet?])
>        2) Companies drop support for old products
>        3) Companies force upgrades by introducing incompatibilities
>        4) Companies sometimes take months to resolve problems

Yes!  And they're often amoral and driven by profit.  Therefore, it's a bit
of a balancing act: Is it better to fix a problem, thus boosting P.R.?
Better to hide a problem and assume most users won't find it?  Or, better to
SELL a new product (with fixes and new features) and get immediate revenue?
 And if selling is the answer, and not enough people are buying, should the
new product be discontinued before its time?  (Some of that discontinuing
decision is faced by the FOSS world as well, but again, while one can grouse
about it, there are often alternatives, and hey, usually you're not paying
for that, even if you are paying support, etc.)

--
Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo
Washington, DC