[DC LoCo] Packaging newer software versions in PPAs [Re: thoughs about a tool to verify certain PPAs]

Kenneth Stailey kstailey at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 03:38:50 BST 2010

--- On Tue, 10/12/10, Yaroslav Halchenko <debian at onerussian.com> wrote:

> From: Yaroslav Halchenko <debian at onerussian.com>
> Subject: Re: Packaging newer software versions in PPAs [Re: [DC LoCo] thoughs about a tool to verify certain PPAs]
> To: "Kenneth Stailey" <kstailey at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Luke Faraone" <luke at faraone.cc>, "Daniel Chen" <seven.steps at gmail.com>, ubuntu-us-dc at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Tuesday, October 12, 2010, 9:57 PM
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010, Kenneth Stailey
> wrote:
> > > I'm curious, why don't you instead backport the
> package?
> > > The package is
> > > outdated in Debian, have you attempted to reach
> out to the
> > > Maintainer
> > > there about updating it?
> > As Debian Package Maintainer for FreeIPMI, I urge you
> to please take a look at this Ubuntu PPA since it provides
> the current version of FreeIPMI to all supported releases of
> Ubuntu.
> > https://launchpad.net/~nutznboltz/+archive/freeipmi
> > Thank you for you time and effort.
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> Well, the reason I allowed myself a leisure of not carrying
> about 0.8 branch of freeipmi was because stable was 0.7 and
> Debian was about to freeze (frozen now), and noone demanded
> (nor I needed) features of 0.8.

Prior to 0.8.10 old IPMI hardware that fails to properly implement I/O mode versus memory mode does not work.

Al Chu at LLNL says that OpenIPMI deals with this by only guessing:

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 10:02 -0700, Albert Chu wrote:
> Hey Kenneth,
>
> Thanks for the info.  I'll try and put a workaround into FreeIPMI to
> deal with this.  I decided to look at the IPMI kernel driver to see what
> they are doing internally and found this:
>
>                 /* Note that technically, the lower bit of the base
>                  * address should be 1 if the address is I/O and 0 if
>                  * the address is in memory.  So many systems get that
>                  * wrong (and all that I have seen are I/O) so we just
>                  * ignore that bit and assume I/O.  Systems that use
>                  * memory should use the newer spec, anyway. */
>                 dmi->base_addr = base_addr & 0xfffe;
>                 dmi->addr_space = IPMI_IO_ADDR_SPACE;
>                 dmi->offset = 1;
>
> so they are just ignoring that bit and using I/O anyways.  So I bet this
> is what is going on in your motherboard w/ the IPMI kernel driver.
>
> Al

FreeIPMI 0.8.10 gives you a run-time option of using "-W assumio" where "-W" is the "workaound" flag for systems that violate IPMI specifications.

There is also a configuration file option if you do not wish to specify the behavior on the command line.

> "proper" packaging
> requires a bit more
> than dh % call ;)

Sorry that you must go to so much trouble.

"An elephant that labors to bring forth a pea."

> What about joining maintenance effort of freeipmi?
> You can obtain all sources (upstream CVS import + debian
> packaging) from
> my git repository:
>
> git clone http://git.onerussian.com/pub/deb/freeipmi.git
>
> ?

Joining your "maintenance effort of freeipmi" requires more than doing a git clone.  Where do I find out about what entirely needs to be done?