[DC LoCo] nopat

Daniel Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 23:22:57 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Kenneth Stailey <kstailey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> But I'm able to figure out how to get 10.10 to boot on an old computer.  How hard could some QA be?  Why is there such a gap between the developers and the users that even I don't feel like reporting the bug, rather I'm trying to build momentum from the grassroots for a Boot Option.

"Some QA?"  I'm hoping that you responded to the numerous calls for
testing between the later Alphas, Beta, and RC.  Do you expect
Canonical employees whose sole job is hardware certification to know
precisely what configuration you have?  Of course there is a
chicken-and-egg problem here, but to lay the fault on any one group in
particular is daft.  The point I'm driving at is that if you want
things to work, you should be that squeaky wheel *before* the release
is rolled to mirrors.

And really, to say there is "such a gap between the developers and the
users" is perhaps stretching things a bit.  I am not a paid Canonical
employee, and I invest a lot of resources in making things work.  I
complain bitterly about things *and then work to correct them*.
You're in a unique position to drive change, so try to take advantage
of the numerous developers *who are also volunteering their
resources*.  At least three of them read this list diligently.  Put
differently, you, too, can work to correct these types of symptoms.
Let's turn this from an "us vice them" situation into an "us" one.