[DC LoCo] nopat

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 16:47:51 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Kenneth Stailey <kstailey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I know it's not anyone's fault in particular but things are getting
> rougher for old equipment.  Wasn't supporting older systems
> supposed to be a "selling point" for Linux in general?

Depends on the distro.  Puppy or Debian? Sure.  Sabayon?  It won't
install to a partition < 15GB in size and in 2007 would barely run on
1GB of RAM.  It needed at least 2GB which was what you found on
expensive laptops at the time, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if
it required 4GB these days.

Ubuntu dropped support for i586 with 10.10.  That means old stuff
won't run it, but it also means we can compile with some actual
optimisations for the hardware the vast majority of people are using.

The selling points, really, are the Four Freedoms.  And that
security-through-obscurity thing that is slowly being eroded as we
gain more users.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com <-my blog of Ubuntu stuff