[DC LoCo] does this youtube video play without flash installed?

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 14:07:30 GMT 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Phil Shapiro <pshapiro at his.com> wrote:
> hi ubuntistas,
>
>    just curious if this youtube video of mine plays without flash
> installed? (i.e. with webm - the new open format youtube is using.)
>
>     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KthvLK-oOVU
>
>      all the computers i use have flash installed -- and i'd like for
> this to be viewable for people who don't have flash on their computer.
>
>           phil
>
> btw, this video was originally created back in 2005. fairfax public
> libraries now provides audio books in mp3 format, but see the blog
> link in the video description on why this remains an issue today.

WebM video plays awful in Chromium.  In Google Chrome on my laptop,
which won't boot anymore, WebM videos didn't play all that well.  The
video looks ok, its not really choppy, its sometimes laggy, but the
worse part is the audio is WAY out of sync.  This is the same problem
I had on my laptop, and it was a much more powerful machine than this
5 year old desktop.

The SAME WebM video plays just fine in VLC.  I haven't been able to
figure out what the problem is and why playback is so terrible in
Chromium.  For now, I have to stick with Flash for Youtube videos, and
those don't play all that well either.  They play better than they
used to on this machine, but not as well as they did on my laptop.

I thought WebM was supposed to be good for playback and didn't require
high CPU/GPU resources.  What gives?  Anyone know?

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts