[DC LoCo] Look before you Lynx

flint at flint.com flint at flint.com
Tue May 4 14:20:24 BST 2010

Dear Kevin,

I urge you to a different end in this iteration of the dreaded LVM
upgrade...

Here is an abbreviated look at my system:

/dev/sda7              11G  9.1G  1.3G  89% /
/dev/sda2             156G   59G   98G  38% /ntfs
/dev/sda8             4.9G  2.9G  1.7G  64% /home/flint

Note that my home directory, which very well could be an entire LVM is
a separate mount from the very conventional root directory.  Note that I
feel funny even suggesting such an elementary fix.  My final vision for
your system is something like this:

/dev/sda7              11G  9.1G  1.3G  89% /
/dev/sda2             156G   59G   98G  38% /dreadedlvm
/dev/sda8             4.9G  2.9G  1.7G  64% /home/kjcole

Anyway, be very careful, as a community's thoughts go with you as you
shove that Lucid Lynx disk into your laptop.

...Con dios me Amigo...

Regards,

Flint

On Mon, 3 May 2010, Kevin Cole wrote:

> Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 15:59:25 -0400
> From: Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com>
> To: Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team <ubuntu-us-dc at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: [DC LoCo] Upgrading to 10.04 using alternate cd has me hung at
>     bootup with LUKS
>
> I had intended this to go to the list...
>
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 06:27, Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ooo. This sounds like my reoccurring issues with Plymouth and mountall.
>> During the splash screen see if you can ALT-M into a shell. Then type "mount
>> -a" followed by CTRL-D.
>>
>> In my situation, mountall was failing to complete. Interrupting plymouth and
>> forcing the mount got it over the hump. I thought it was finally fixed...
>
> (In my situation the oddness is contributed to by my choice to mess
> around with LVM.  So, your mileage may vary.)
>
> --
> Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo
> Washington, DC
> http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/

Kindest Regards,

Paul Flint
(802) 479-2360

/************************************
Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgment in response to this note.

Paul Flint
Barre Open Systems Institute
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT
05641

http://www.bosivt.org
http://www.flint.com/home
skype: flintinfotech
Work: (202) 537-0480

Consilium                                       _
gratuitum        .~.     ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
valet            /V\      against HTML e-mail   X
quanti          /( )\     www.asciiribbon.org  / \
numerantur      ^^-^^