[DC LoCo] Help needed: Kid Power Ubuntu Lab (near Gallery Place)

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 23:14:08 BST 2010

Hi all,

Quite some time back (January?), Sanjay and I began setting up an
Ubuntu lab at Kid Power.  Six computers, I think.  Recently, we were
able to get back to them and *ALMOST* finish the upgrading to Lucid.

Unfortunately, I've been a bit overbooked.  This week, our department
at work is being moved out of our current digs, much to our
displeasure.  Next week I'll be in Rochester.  So, if anyone has some
free time in the next two weeks to go in and finish what we started,
it would be much appreciated.  According to Erin Gordon, who is our
contact at Kid Power:

"Two of the computers in the lab that I believe were set up are giving
us some difficulties. Ubuntu appears to load (the background screen
comes up) but none of the icons load. I think this was happening with
one of them that Kevin was working on and if I recall you thought the
monitor wasn't connecting with the computer properly."

She also asked if we know a good place to take old monitors to be
recycled in the next week or two.  (These are the heavier, CRT
monitors to the best of my knowledge.)

As I recall, the issue with one of the machines was that it's having
trouble determining the video mode and fails to launch X, leaving you
at the text login prompt.  I don't recall what the issue with the
other computer is.

Kid Power is located at 755 8th St NW, Washington, DC 20001
(http://www.kidpowerdc.org/).  If you can help, let me know and I'll
put you in touch w/ Erin (and/or vice versa).

Thanx!