[DC LoCo] Software Freedom Day / Takoma Park Folk Festival

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 18:16:41 BST 2010

I was able to dig up a cached copy of a previous SFD wiki entry and
may still have a copy squirreled away of one of our very early events
at the Mount Rainer Public Library.  Here's the cached copy:

Software Freedom Day 2007: The DC LoCo Ubuntu Team held two events
this year, hitching our wagon to others stars.

The first event was at the Peoples Media Center at Al Fishawy Cafe. A
bit late in the game, after discussing the event with the director of
the site for several weeks, we learned very late that it coincided
with her efforts to host a party there for the anti-war protesters in
town the same day. We decided to combine the two events.
Unfortunately, the expected audience was busy getting arrested. We
only had about 15 people show for that.

However, on Sunday (the day after SFD), we had a very successful event
at the Takoma Park Folk Festival (http://tpff.org/). The festival
focuses on folk music, folk art and progressive politics. Last year we
convinced them that we were somehow related to that, and got a table a
bit off the beaten path. This year, we got a table right in the main
flow of foot traffic. Most excellent! The festival doesn't allow for
AC power, and thus, we really weren't able to demo our wares, but we
had a very good crowd. Last year, most people were struggling with the
pronunciation of Linux and Ubuntu. This year, several people came up
and said things like "I'm having trouble with my wireless under
Dapper..."

Clearly, people are starting to get the message.

As an added treat, Barry Warsaw, the musician, unslung his guitar
after performing, and came over to our tent as Barry Warsaw, Canonical
employee and lead developer of GNU Mailman.

The DC LoCo Ubuntu Team focuses on provided free support for local
communities, libraries, and schools around the DC metropolitan area,
including parts of VA and MD.

For more information, please visit our website at: http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/
--
Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo