[DC LoCo] Signs of Life Testing (SOLT)

flint at flint.com flint at flint.com
Wed Dec 22 20:01:48 GMT 2010

Dear Eric,

I run Ubuntu on Toshiba Satellite junk all the time.

When you get to that black screen, do me a favor.

1. Hit the <caps lock> does the caps lock light come on?
2. Hit the <num lock> does the numlock key light up?
    Your (mileage may vary on this sign of life test)

Now the big one:

3. Hold down the <ctrl> <alt> on the left side of the keyboard at the same
time.  While holding them down tap with your right index finger the <f1>
key.  This should bring up a command prompt.

Let me know what happens.

Flint

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Eric Maag wrote:

> Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:07:47 -0600
> From: Eric Maag <eric.maag at gmail.com>
> To: Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com>
> Cc: ubuntu-us-dc at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: [DC LoCo] Troubleshooting an install
>
> Kevin,
>
> I am going to go ahead and try with a live usb version, I´ll report
> back once I´ve tried that route.
>
> Ideally I would like to keep the system dual boot though.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric
>
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not so much a fix, but rather, more questions.
>>
>> Given the age of the beastie and the fact that it's fairly well slimed
>> by your account, is there a reason to go wubi rather than clean
>> install?  (Insufficient external backup media for "keeper" data? No
>> burner to create a bootable installer? Apps that one has no equivalent
>> and just can't live without?)
>>
>> Are you able to test w/ a bootable live system (USB or CD)?

Kindest Regards,

Paul Flint
(802) 479-2360

/************************************
Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgment in response to this note.

Paul Flint
Barre Open Systems Institute
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT
05641

http://www.bosivt.org
http://www.flint.com/home
skype: flintinfotech
Work: (202) 537-0480

Consilium                                       _
gratuitum        .~.     ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
valet            /V\      against HTML e-mail   X
quanti          /( )\     www.asciiribbon.org  / \
numerantur      ^^-^^