[DC LoCo] Troubleshooting an install

Eric Maag eric.maag at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 17:05:28 GMT 2010

Dear list,

I was wondering if someone could recommend some next steps here. I am
on vacation at the the family´s place and have been tasked with seeing
what I can do with an old laptop that´s been lying around here. It´s a
toshiba satelite a10-sp129 that is running a very bloated / saturated
with spyware malware and all the other afflictions that an untended
Windows XP install accumulates over time. So I thought fark it and
went ahead and ran wubi.exe on the machine, now everything was going
well and good, I assigned 5gb for the space created the admin account
and it went ahead and downloaded the .iso and the install process
begins.

Once completed it asks me to reboot, which I go ahead and do and am
presented with the select OS screen, choose ubunutu and off it goes,
the purple loading screen comes up and then it switches to black and
hangs, I let it sit there for about 15 mins thinking since it´s a
clean install there must be some configuration it must be doing.
Nothing.

So I go ahead and reboot and this time go into verbose mode and all
the messages scroll by everything´s [ok] and then it switches to a
black screen again and seems to hang there. I tried to switch run
levels to see if I could diagnose it that what way (ctrl-alt-f1) and
it wouldn´t even let me do that.

Any help, tips or tricks on how to fix this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric Maag