[DC LoCo] dual booting window xp and Lubuntu

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 17:45:24 BST 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Phil Shapiro <pshapiro at his.com> wrote:
> hi ubuntistas,
>
>   does anyone know how to set up a dual boot for windows xp and
> Lubuntu?  wubi doesn't give you an option of choosing Lubuntu.  i love
> Lubuntu's light memory footprint for older laptops.

Just do the dual boot the normal way.  I consider Wubi more dangerous
than partitioning.

Why?  I've seen user complaints where:
- Installing Ubuntu updates made Ubuntu-in-Wubi unbootable (but not
real Ubuntu installs)
- Installing Ubuntu via Wubi made both Ubuntu and Windows unbootable
(that was this weekend on IRC... Windows bootloader wrecked, only a
broken grub-rescue shell that understood no commands at all remained)

I do not trust Wubi on production systems, yet it is for some reason
lauded as "safer" than a good old-fashioned dual boot.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo