[DC LoCo] Question about 64-bit Ubuntu and battery life.

jerry w jerrywone at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 19:18:43 BST 2010

I've been running the 64 bit 10.04 version
for months, and I get battery notifications
of only 40-30% capacity (it's a 6+ year old
machine with original batteries, )

and a quick (read immediate) hibernate
if the power goes out or I knock the
cord.

There are some web browsing issues
(adobe flash, youtube, 64 bit OS
and 32 bit players, etc as is usual
for 64 bit OS, fedora has issues with them too
chroot 32 or ia32 or whatever, the
closed source stuff never got compiled
64 bit, as with a lot of stuff...),
but not noticed much else, I did have
problems dist-upgrading the 32 bit versions,
but the clean install of 64 bit version
was painless, iirc...

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nicco Eneidi asks:
>
>> Have you played around much with 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04?
>>
>> I just got a new Thinkpad T400 off ebay unopened/unused
>> and I am playing with Ubuntu 64-bit currently but I feel like
>> it drains the battery more quickly... but I want to keep using
>> it since I have 4 GB RAM and I also plan on running many
>> virtual machines and I think they generally run better under
>> 64-bit but I'm not quite sure.
>
> --
> Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo
> Washington, DC