[DC LoCo] Fw: [Cleveland-Park] Computer Special This Month - Listserv Members Only

Andrew Conklin andrewconklin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 20:13:11 BST 2009

I am dual booting Windows 7 RC and Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix on my Dell
Latitude D420 laptop.  Ubuntu is starting up much quicker these days, but
I'm still held back by the inefficient battery consumption.

I did not have any driver issues after installing both operating systems.
Unlike installing Windows XP, no driver installers were needed or used after
setting up Windows 7 for my particular laptop model.  I will note that my
laptop has Intel integrated wireless networking and video graphics.

My laptop hardware does not have touch capabilities, so the difference
between the few times I've used Vista on other machines and Windows 7 is
minimal for me as a user.  The major change is probably the quick launch
toolbar on the taskbar.  The icons are larger and manages open windows.
There's a subtle border around the icon to indicate that a program is
currently running.  The system tray is still around. Windows 7 is an
improvement over Vista, but I have no interest in buying it once my release
candidate version expires.