[DC LoCo] Selling Ubuntu on eBay?

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 30 16:02:25 GMT 2009

Chuck Glenn wrote:
> I see someone selling Ubuntu CDs for $6 on eBay.  I question whether
> this is legal.

I don't know that I'd call my answer "definitive" since I haven't dug very
deep into either who's selling, nor what they're selling exactly, but...

Quite a bit of Free, Open Source Software is legally sold, even though it
is often available without paying a dime.  I don't think Canonical has any
legal requirement that you don't act like an ass, or at least no legal
requirement with teeth.  That said, if these CDs being sold are produced by
Canonical and provided for free to the recipient by Canonical, then
Canonical might want to be made aware of it.

On the other hand, if I download an Ubuntu ISO, go out and buy some blank
CDs, labels, etc, and then sell at a profit, it's still rather rude, IMHO,
but considerably more acceptable, with the caveat that I have to make the
source available.

Caveat emptor, and all that. Capitalism: Gotta love it.

--
 Kevin Cole                    |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7   (GPG/PGP)
 Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team     |     WWW: http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/

           ". ! 1 |" -- Rene Magritte's computer