[DC LoCo] Closing Cleveland Park computer clinic. What next?

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 02:20:58 GMT 2009

Hi LoCo members and library computer clinic patrons,

Yesterday, whilst doing my usual bit at the Cleveland Park Library, I
was informed that the library is "under new management" and that the
new branch head wants our little computer lab gone by the end of
December.  The room we currently occupy is being made into a Staff
Only workroom.  There doesn't appear to be any other space to move
into.  The folks I talked to said something vague about maybe doing
stuff on the library's computers at some future date, but I'm loathe
to commit to non-free, non-public software at a public library of all
places. Although I have frequently helped folks with Microsoft and
Apple products, it has continued to be my hope to influence people to
try out the free, open source software available.  The option being
offered would completely eliminate that possibility.

I'm hoping to connect with folks at the Marie Reed Recreational Center
in Adams Morgan, to see if there's a possibility of moving our
operation there.  There have been a few suggestions of raising a bit
of noise on the Cleveland Park mailing list, writing to the main
branch library, ANC commissioners, etc., to try to stave off the
eviction. I'm not very good at that kind of thing.  However, if you
all feel compelled to weigh in, feel free, but be aware that I don't
want the computers to get thrown out while waiting for miracles.

Other options, albeit further afield, include:

* the Community for Creative Non-Violence homeless shelter, which I
understand has an open source software class already established,
* seeing if First Time Computers, over near Catholic University want
to do something together,
* finding out what the DC chapter of Intel's Computer Clubhouse is
doing, if anything. (I get the strong impression that they're not very
active.)
* Phil's travelling computer road show. ;-)
* Sanjay mentioned a possible connection with a school doing an after
school program
* there was some noise made a few months ago by people over at St.
Stephen's Church about computer classes for an outfit called Thrive
DC, though I gather they're not into the open source stuff...

Thoughts anyone?
--
Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo
Washington, DC