[DC LoCo] Java very slow in Ubuntu 9.10

Greg Reagle greagle at citidc.com
Thu Nov 19 17:45:08 GMT 2009

Hi everybody.  I installed Ubuntu 9.10 recently and Java is super slow.  What is going on?  Have you experienced this problem too?

Here are the details:
I installed sun-java6-bin and sun-java6-jre (et al).  CPU of Ubuntu computer is Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz with 512 MB of RAM.  According to the GNOME System Monitor panel applet: RAM is not overloaded, swap is not being used, disk activity is very low.  The Windows computer I mention for comparison is Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz, Windows XP, also with Java 6.

I downloaded GTD-Free 0.4.3 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtd-free/files/gtd-free/0.4.3/gtd-free-0.4.3.jar/download and ran it with "java -jar gtd-free-0.4.3.jar".  It takes 2-3 seconds just to switch between tabs and sends the CPU utilization up to 100%!!  This same program is speedy on my Windows XP computer.

Also, Freemind is very slow too and sends the CPU to 100% just clicking on the menus or opening and closing branches.  Freemind 0.7 comes standard with Ubuntu but I used the newer version at http://eric.lavar.de/comp/linux/debian/ubuntu.  Again, this program is speedy on my Windows XP computer.

I read complaints regarding slowness of Java with earlier versions of Ubuntu that said that switching to Java 5 made things faster, but Java 5 doesn't seem to be available for Ubuntu 9.10.

--
greg reagle | system administrator | 202-234-1600 ext. 353 | greagle at citidc.com
community it innovators (citi) | Twitter: @CommunityIT