[DC LoCo] Kevin, you are famous!!!

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 00:30:44 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 16:59,  <flint at flint.com> wrote:
> Dear Kevin,
>
> Read the end of this screed...

A wee bit old. I think I was sending that message out about 7 years
ago.  And, despite what it claimed at the top, it was never truly
automatic.  While I agree (somewhat) with RMS on the personal touch, I
was more interested in giving the impression that I wasn't even going
to bother with Microsoft Weird documents and that the attachment would
be gone before I ever looked at the message.  I "automatically"
inserted the text from a .txt file I had lying around, but I did it by
hand.

It hasn't helped much.  I've since set up Mailman lists that simply
drop .doc attachments, but even after years of doing this and
explaining it several times, I still get the same crap.  Particularly
irksome are the documents that say "Me too" or "Thanks" or some other
one-line reply that has no need for any fancy stuff.  Even if they
were using .odt documents, it's still a nuisance to open a separate
program to read what is essentially an e-mail message, not a
"document" per se.  But I rant. ;-)

I've grown a bit more tolerant of HTML though, given that Gmail hasn't
been quite as painful as its predecessors as far as web-based mail
clients.