[DC LoCo] us robotics 56K usb modem question

Marti Martinson arthur.martinson at verizon.net
Fri Nov 6 23:15:15 GMT 2009

If running lsusb yielded this as one of the returns:

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0baf:0303 U.S. Robotics

and lsmod | grep cdc this:

cdc_acm                16544  2

What could I be missing to auto detect the usb modem under gnome-ppp?
The US Robotics document said that if you have the cdc_acm module and a
kernel >= 2.4.20 (mine is 2.6.31-14 with uname), no drivers were
necessary.

I went to /dev and could not find /dev/modem (which is what the
graphical gnome-ppp has as default next to the auto detect button. I
then went through all the options in the drop-down (/dev/ttyS1, ttyS2,
etc.) and none were my modem.

I read this:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/setting-up-dial-up-connection-in-ubuntu.html

System->Administration->Networking is not in my 9.10. So I tried the
gnome-ppp.....

I do have a /dev/ppp, if that matters.

I am normally on Verizon DSL and I even unplugged the ethernet cable
from the back of the PC while I tried to dial-up. (This is for back-up
and a possible move back to rural TX.....)

Thanks for any input. Have a great weekend....

Marti