[DC LoCo] Comcast Question

flint at flint.com flint at flint.com
Mon May 18 19:26:40 BST 2009

Dear Nicholas,

Yea, the battle here was that you had to have a browser with Active X
available...

Fat chance.

Regards,

Flint

On Mon, 18 May 2009, Nicholas Wheeler wrote:

> Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:24:29 -0400
> From: Nicholas Wheeler <dragoncow2 at gmail.com>
> To: ubuntu-us-dc at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: [DC LoCo] Comcast Question
>
> When the Verizon guy came to my house, he saw Ubuntu and simply asked
> me to log in. All he needs is access to firefox to set up the router
> anyways .... the guy was familiar with Linux though. He said if there
> was any OS configuration needed, it'd be unsupported by Verizon...but
> it should just work. And it did. I guess there's always a chance
> you'll get a competent tech guy.
>
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Phil Shapiro <pshapiro at his.com> wrote:
>>

>> marti is 100 percent on target with this excellent answer.
>>
>>   i use ubuntu computers with the RCN cable modem i have at work. i
>> plug in the ethernet cable into the computer and then within about 5
>> seconds its ready to surf the web, download updates to ubuntu, etc.
>>
>>     ubuntu has been sold preinstalled on computers for several years
>> now. right about now is when comcast ought to figure out that it's
>> time for their technicians to have some familiarity with ubuntu.
>> heck, you can install ubuntu with almost no effort on a windows box
>> using wubi, creating a dual-boot computer.
>>
>> http://wubi-installer.org/
>>
>>        phil shapiro
>>

>>> I am sorry for not "Replying", but I simply had to go through the Inbox
>>> and delete stuff. However, I just now thought about the Comcast thread
>>> for help. I do not know if that thread is closed, but I guess I'd like
>>> to offer this:
>>>
>>> When Comcast comes out to set up, just simply do not have the Ubuntu box
>>> "handy", insert some excuse you feel comfortable with. Ask them if they
>>> set-up/test the modem, the tech may have a laptop. If they set-up with
>>> Windows, undoubtedly, attaching the Ubuntu box later should just work.
>>>
>>> I have Verizon DSL (different, I know) but the account was set-up under
>>> Windows. When I bought this pre-installed Ubuntu box (at 7.10) I had to
>>> do NOTHING for it to work with the modem. I simply connected everything
>>> and it found the modem. I was on-line with Ubuntu and DSL without any
>>> config changes.
>>>
>>> I hope this was not out-of-line, or the thread closed.
>>>
>>> Marti
>>> Eternal Newbie (hey, I know my limits)
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>>
>> --
>> Phil Shapiro  pshapiro at his.com
>> http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html
>> http://philsrssfeed.blogspot.com
>> http://www.his.com/pshapiro/stories.menu.html
>>
>> "Wisdom begins with wonder." - Socrates
>> "Learning happens thru gentleness."
>>

>> --

> Nicholas Wheeler
> Systems Administrator
> Development InfoStructure

Kindest Regards,

Paul Flint
(802) 479-2360

/************************************
Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgment in response to this note.

Paul Flint
Barre Open Systems Institute
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT
05641

http://www.bosivt.org
http://www.flint.com/home
skype: flintinfotech
Work: (202) 537-0480

Consilium                                       _
gratuitum        .~.     ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
valet            /V\      against HTML e-mail   X
quanti          /( )\     www.asciiribbon.org  / \
numerantur      ^^-^^