[DC LoCo] [Fwd: Re: Problem installing Ubuntu]

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 18 15:33:13 GMT 2009

David Adamson wrote:
> This sounds like something i'd like to check out. I'll put my pc in the
> trunk and drive down saturday.  Even if I don't get to work on my pc it
> should be informative. Just the tower no mouse or keyboard, right?

Tower only if you're headed to the library.  If you're headed to the bug
jam, I imagine people will only be showing up with laptops, and we won't be
in any kind of computer lab. So, I doubt there will be spare monitors,
though a keyboard and mouse would probably be "scrounge-able".  If worse
comes to worse, we could haul your tower up to my office and borrow a
monitor for a bit.

Details:

Gallaudet University, 8th & Florida NE, Student Union Building, Lower
Level, Flexible Rooms L040 and L041.

The directions: Enter campus at 8th and Florida NE and tell the campus cop
that you're going to the OLPC event in the Student Union Building (SUB),
lower level.  (Telling them the Ubuntu event will probably only confuse
them.)  The campus main drag is a large loop. You want to follow the loop
to the right, after getting past the security kiosk.  On the left, you'll
pass a house, then see two buildings connected by a glass walkway.  Look
for parking. (I think visitor parking is available to the right.)  Enter
the glass walkway at the slightly-below-street level, and turn right.  Go
through the white doors, and we'll be just to the other side of that.

The link below should take you to my Google map of the campus showing
parking, bus stops, nearest Metro stations and the Student Union Building.
Clicking on the bus icons on the marked routes takes you to the Gallaudet
shuttle bus schedules. Be sure to pick the WEEKEND schedule to get accurate
times.

http://tinyurl.com/2ldf52

In theory, parking is allowed anywhere on campus, but you will need to pick
up a permit at the security office (shown on the map). You will need to
present your driver's license, registration and insurance info.  In
practice, that seems to have been proven unnecessary on weekends, but you
take your own chances there.

Here's a diagram of the floorplan of the lower level of the Student Union:

http://tinyurl.com/2x2tz4

I hope to have some sort of sign up outside, but no promises.

P.S. I don't have a cell phone and won't be near a land line.  So, if you
get lost you'll need to call someone who does.

--
 Kevin Cole                    |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7   (GPG/PGP)
 Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team     |     WWW: http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/