[DC LoCo] Problem installing Ubuntu - a tough dog

flint at flint.com flint at flint.com
Tue Feb 17 16:47:13 GMT 2009

Dear Kevin,

I suggest that our friend here try booting these systems using the latest
Knoppix disk http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html, and get back to us
with the result.

Regards,

Flint

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Kevin Cole wrote:

> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:14:38 -0500
> From: Kevin Cole <kjcole at ubuntu.com>
> To: Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team <ubuntu-us-dc at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: [DC LoCo] Problem installing Ubuntu
>
> Hi,
>
> I got e-mail recently from a guy having problems installing.  I informed
> him of the alternate install CD, but thought I'd see if someone here knows
> something obvious with regard to his specific hardware. Here's a synthesis
> of two messages he's sent.
>
> -------- Semi-Original Messages --------
>
> I bought the Ubuntu CD from Microcenter in Rockville and booted form it.
> It was having issues (hanging) on the install.  I tried all the options
> listed, try Ubuntu without making changes, check CD integrity, etc. All
> options caused it to hang.  I was using a dell Dimension B110. Online there
> was a list of "approved" computers to work with Ubuntu and it just so
> happened that my other dell dimension E310 was on the list. So now months
> afterwards I started trying to install it on this other system, the E310.
> I installed using the windows installer this time and it completed
> successfully and a message indicated that the computer needed to reboot.
>
> On reboot the dual boot screen appeared and the Ubuntu OS was highlighted
> and then executed.  It took me to the Ubuntu command prompt, I think it
> said GRUB or something like this.  At this point I was clueless. I thought
> it would boot into a gui operating system.
>
> Looking for support online also hasn't been easy. I downloaded chat
> applications and even used some of your suggestions (#ubuntu, etc.) I'm
> sure the problem lies with me.  It's probably an easy fix; but it will
> probably take someone to point it out to me.
>
> I don't think I have less than 1GB on either of the two systems.  I tried
> Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10 and Fedora 10. None worked for me.
>
> How do I go about getting this set up properly on my desktop?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Kindest Regards,

Paul Flint
(802) 479-2360

/************************************
Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgment in response to this note.

Paul Flint
Barre Open Systems Institute
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT