[DC LoCo] OT - Switching off computers

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 3 18:03:18 BST 2009

Sanjay Jain wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What do you think of the message below? Am I mistaken in thinking that
> this is stupid? Why was wake on LAN invented?

Of course it's stupid: It's Windows. ;-)  That said... Although the same
procedure has been recommended for folks at Gallaudet, as I recall, those
who turn their machines off do eventually get visited during the day -- or
you can... god forbid... teach users what to do and give them enough
control to do it.

Disclaimer: As time goes on I know less and less about the Church of
Microsoft and its arcane rituals and spells.  So I could be completely
mistaken about the inner workings of the update process.