[DC LoCo] OT - Switching off computers

Sanjay Jain oss.cleveland at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 17:25:06 BST 2009

Hi all,

What do you think of the message below? Am I mistaken in thinking that this is stupid? Why was wake on LAN invented?

-----
Beginning today please Log Off but do *not* Turn Off your computers each night before heading home. This will allow the Windows Server Update Services tool we use to visit your computers in the wee hours of the morning and install necessary updates.

But, please *do* turn off your monitors.

While some of us might understandably have environmental concerns regarding this new policy, it is a “Best Practice,” and adhering to it will result in less downtime and greater efficiency, which will save us time and money. Monitors use more energy than CPUs, so again, please turn those (monitors) off before leaving.