[DC LoCo] Looking for guinea pigs for usability testing...

flint at flint.com flint at flint.com
Fri Oct 3 15:09:07 BST 2008

Dear Ted,

I have a Teen Center here in Barre Vermont that I could "upgrade" to
your KDE beta...

http://humctc.org

How to organize test and evaluation is the real question.

Regards,

Flint

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:

> Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 08:34:13 -0400
> From: Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste at kde.org>
> To: Ted Smith <teddks at gmail.com>
> Cc: Ubuntu-DC-Loco <ubuntu-us-dc at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: [DC LoCo] Looking for guinea pigs for usability testing...
>

> Hi Ted,
>
> Despite my work in KDE, this is actually an activity focussing on Ubuntu and
> GNOME (I hope future activities can include KDE). When I say "inexperienced"
> people, I'm looking for "normal" users, with or without a lot of Linux
> experience.  "Normal" users are those who don't necessarily have problem
> solving skills to fix something when it breaks, or know how to look up help
> in a Linux forum or website.  They may be good at email, writing documents,
> and browsing the Internet, but don't know much about their computer. They
> just *use* the computer.  These are the people we (in OSS) have the hardest
> to contact since most of our peers have extensive Linux desktop experience.
>
> On Wednesday 01 October 2008 14:44:32 Ted Smith wrote:
>> Should the people be inexperienced in GNU/Linux in general, or just in
>> the KDE? I've partially exhausted my pool of friends/family that have no
>> experience with GNU/Linux, but most of them have never used or seen K.
>>
>> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 10:08 -0400, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> The idea is that you, the Loco member, will help guide a lesser
>>> experienced user (a friend of family member) through a simple activity on
>>> the Linux desktop.  By having some lesser experienced users go through
>>> these activities, we hope to get some ideas on how to make the software
>>> better.
>>>
>>> We are hoping to do a pilot activity on Saturday October 10 in the
>>> afternoon.
>>>
>>> If you are intersted in participating, please post your name and if you
>>> will bring a friend/family member to test with.
>>>
>>> You can also post your interest on the forum thread:
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5887481#post5887481
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> ~ Celeste

>>> --
>>> Celeste Lyn Paul
>>> KDE Usability Project
>>> usability.kde.org
>

> --
> Celeste Lyn Paul
> KDE Usability Project
> usability.kde.org

Kindest Regards,

Paul Flint
(802) 479-2360

/************************************
Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgment in response to this note.

Paul Flint
Barre Open Systems Institute
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT