[DC LoCo] Looking for guinea pigs for usability testing...

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Wed Oct 1 17:57:41 BST 2008

On Wednesday 01 October 2008 12:50:31 Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 10:08 -0400, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> > We are hoping to do a pilot activity on Saturday October 10 in the
> > afternoon.
>
> You're jumping the gun, Celeste.  October 10 won't be a Saturday til
> *next* year ;)

Oops, I mean October 11 :)

> So is this usability testing for just Kubuntu/KDE, or will it be open
> other apps?  I can't come anyway, because of Ohio Linux Fest, but
> someone else might be wondering too.

No, it is for Ubuntu and GNOME apps, AFAIK no one else has an interest in KDE
but me and Canonical is expecting feedback on Ubuntu.

> I kind of wish usability testing wasn't limited to inexperienced people.

It's not, it can cover all user types.  The problem is that inexperienced
people aren't represented in the floss development cycle and so those users
aren't considered in the design and development of software.  That is why we
mostly focus on inexperienced users (to Linux, not necessarily to computing
in general) to figure out what we missed.

> While there are some bad UIs that I've just gotten used to (Compiz's

Sure, but that's because you have problem solving skills and probably spent
hours looking up forums and HOWTOs.  That is an unacceptable requirement for
products which should be easily figured out.  Also, just because you've
gotten used to it doesn't mean it couldnt be better :)

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project