[DC LoCo] Looking for guinea pigs for usability testing...

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 17:50:31 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 10:08 -0400, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> We are hoping to do a pilot activity on Saturday October 10 in the afternoon.

You're jumping the gun, Celeste.  October 10 won't be a Saturday til
*next* year ;)

So is this usability testing for just Kubuntu/KDE, or will it be open
other apps?  I can't come anyway, because of Ohio Linux Fest, but
someone else might be wondering too.

I kind of wish usability testing wasn't limited to inexperienced people.
While there are some bad UIs that I've just gotten used to (Compiz's
settings thing...oy...I've got an idea for making that a bit less
umm....*brain kersplode!*...oh, and the size (and repetition) of the
Preferences menu in GNOME), there are others that I just don't use.
Even if they're better in some way (more features, expected behaviour
being better....ahem...Rhythmbox, I don't care if it's a "play queue" I
still want Shuffle...and Evolution, why can't you send GMail trash to
[GMail]/Trash instead of your own?), sometimes the *brain kersplode*
feeling is triggered.  By "brain kersplode!" I mean UIs that have so
much stuff and so many words that you can't scan/parse them easily and
instead have to resort to reading *everything*.  I get *why* it's
usually inexperienced people: no pre-conceived notions.  That doesn't
mean experienced people are used to, expect, or are unable to recognize
designs that are bad. I think we're more likely to just give up on the
application than put up with it if we're experienced enough to know the
alternatives.  Heck, how do you think I figured GNOME would be easier
for my mom than Windows?  I knew she couldn't parse the
Start->Applications menu, but XDG menus are generally pretty clean and
well-organized, so it seemed she'd have a better shot.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo