[DC LoCo] Adventures in Damn Small Linux (DSL)

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 01:17:52 GMT 2008

DSL running in Qemu on WinXP was how I first tried Linux.  I was trying to
find something to use instead of Windows (just for the Hell of it...figured
I'd learn something new), and I knew I didn't like OSX.  I'd heard of some
other OS called Linux before (don't know where), so I thought I'd try
it...but what if it was all command line and difficult and I couldn't use it
properly?  Well, virtualized DSL dispelled the fear that I'd be stuck in a
command-line-only system.  So, I decided I'd learn it, and I got a book
called "Linux in Easy Steps" that showed KDE on Mandriva.  One of my friends
said it'd be silly for me to pay for Linux, so I ended up with Ubuntu and
liking GNOME better than KDE anyway.  I guess that means the book was pretty
useless, but I learned at least a little about file permissions and got to
see that DSL's ugly Fluxbox setup (not all Fluxbox is ugly, mind you, just
theirs) didn't even scratch the surface of how usable (in terms of usability
or human computer interaction...not how useful it could be) Linux could be.

On Jan 4, 2008 10:46 PM, ARTHUR MARTINSON <arthur.martinson at verizon.net>
wrote:

> The memory I just bought (1GB for notebook) has gone bad. It ran for one
> evening and today the laptop would not boot, so I removed the extra RAM
> and all is well....back at 256MB. At least the CPU is 2.8GHz. I went
> online and found a 256MB (PC2700 DDR333); just $15 so I may as well try.
> Best Buy did refund the 1GB.
>
> Now that I know Xubuntu is out, it does look like fluxbuntu or
> ubuntulite. But just wanted to share that the embedded DSL (in a qemu(?)
> virtual player) is rather nifty.
>
>  http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/damnsmall/current/
>
> (the embedded.zip file)
>
> There is an article here:
>

> http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/470563/virtual_machine_software_for_beginners.html
>
> Maybe old hat to you guys.....Have a great weekend.
>
> Marti

Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683