[DC LoCo] DC computer refurbishing and open source software...

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 12 22:18:57 GMT 2008

Hi,

A colleague recently informed me of your organization.  I'm involved
with a small, disorganized group that refurbishes computers and
distributes them with Free / Open Source Software (FOSS) which is
unencumbered by proprietary licenses.  We also do a considerable
amount of outreach and education about FOSS, particularly in
libraries, schools and community centers.  In fact, I believe a bunch
of our computers have ended up a few blocks from your offices, at the
People's Media Center at Al Fishawy Cafe (4132 Georgia Avenue NW).
We have a small Open Source "lab" at the Cleveland Park Library,
where we offer basic training, one-on-one, and are planning classes.
(Our volunteer list is a bit small for the library effort, but growing.)
Several members of our group are also becoming involved in the One Laptop
Per Child (OLPC) efforts.

I know of at least two other refurbishing efforts in the area, although
I don't know how active they are.

Does your group distribute computers with Free/Open Source Software
(FOSS) such as the Ubuntu or Fedora distributions of Linux?  Would you
be interested in exploring the possibility, if you do not already do
so?  Are you aware of Free Geek? If not, take a moment to check out
http://freegeek.org/mission.php and http://freegeek.org/family.php for
an introduction.  It would be cool to have a Free Geek site in DC.

Thanks for any info!

Sincerely,
Kevin Cole

       [This message is digitally signed with the GNU Privacy
       Guard (GPG). See http://www.gnupg.org/ for more info.]

  Kevin Cole                  |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7   (GPG/PGP)
  Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team   |     WWW: http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/
  Washington, D.C.  (USA)     |   Phone: +1.202.234.0213 (Home)

            ". ! 1 |" -- Rene Magritte's computer