[DC LoCo] Cleveland Park (now Chevy Chase too?) update

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 22:16:11 GMT 2008

Well I'm working on getting a job right now, so I'm not sure about schedules
just yet, but in the evenings I could probably help with installing on the
old boxes.  I'd like to try doing Fluxbuntu on some, but I don't think it's
done yet (no automounting on flash drives? not ok for normal people).  I
don't know how Xubuntu compares to Ubuntu base + Fluxbox in terms of
resource usage.

On Feb 7, 2008 4:42 PM, Sanjay Jain <oss.cleveland at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Kevin and I have been going in regularly, we've had moderate success,
> people are beginning to know us now. I feel we have won the hearts of the
> library staff, they are actively referring people to us.
>
> We have a new volunteer, Charles. Here's the current schedule:
>
> Sanjay - Weekdays 1 -2 pm
> Kevin - Saturday 1- 3 pm
> Charles - Mon/Wed/Fri 12 - 1 pm
>
> Besides promoting FOSS, we are promoting the the use of older computers
> (instead of trashing them), we are now getting donations for refurbishment
> and redistribution.
>
> The Chevy Chase local list serve moderator has asked their members to find
> us (me) some workspace for the reuse project.
>
> I'd like to find more volunteers for this effort and hold regular classes
> too. I suspect it'll be a while before we get large turnouts for classes,
> but we need to start the process. I'm looking forward to Mackenzie's GIMP
> class.
>
> ~sanjay
>

> --
> Intellectual property can stimulate innovation, so can war... in both
> cases the negatives don't justify the 'progress'.... In recent times,
> humanity has spent more effort in producing smaller mp3 players and
> cell-phones than clean water and sanitation for everybody... isn't it time
> to reevaluate how we motivate people?

Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683