[DC LoCo] Takoma Park Folk Festival: Mass CD production? OLPC batteries?

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 14:07:30 BST 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 08:56, Parrish Swann <parrish.swann at gmail.com> wrote:
> I ask because I may be able to pull a string or two at my job to get some
> CDs pressed.  No guarantees, but I might be able to.  I don't know if I'll
> get 180, but we'll see.

No, no, no.  No need to go to that extreme. That's going to be some
serious overkill for OLPC Learning Club.  I was thinking more like
50-60.

a) this will be the first year for OLPC LCDC at Takoma Park.  It took
Ubuntu LoCo two tries to build to 180 CDs.
b) most people who already have a computer would probably feel that
turning it into the equivalent of an XO laptop is a step backwards,
unless they're into innovative ways to teach young children or they're
geeks.

(I suppose there's always the "Oh, free shit? Gimme, even if I don't
know what the heck it is." mentality, but I'd hate to waste materials
and labor, not to mention the environmental impact of just generating
more landfill material.  If people get home, try it once and throw it
out, that's no good.)

Mike, any word on G1G1?  'Twould be nice if that were a definite for
TPFF, cuz you know the interested will be asking "Where can I get
one?" and telling them "eBay," sorta sucks.  ;-)

P.S. If it wasn't clear, we've already got enough Ubuntu CD's to cover
TPFF.  I was only referring to the OLPC Live CD's.