[DC LoCo] Cleveland park library - next steps
oss.cleveland at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 15:18:50 BST 2007
Hi all, updates:
1) Phil dropped off a CD drive, we can now install Ubuntu, thanks Phil. I installed it on 1 machine and it was sloooow. I've ordered some 256mb Ram sticks so that these PCs will function.
2) I've moved a LAN cable so that it's in "our" room. Can some one provide a crimping tool (to put a RJ45 connector) or a punch tool to connect to a jack?
3) Still looking for power strips and LAN cables!
Sanjay Jain <oss.cleveland at yahoo.com> wrote: Hi all,
We've arranged the space at Cleveland Park library.... the furniture is arranged, Phil has dropped off some Compaq ipaq computers... here's what we still need to do:
1) Figure out a way to install Ubuntu on the computers - I was not able to boot from USB (the bios allows it, but I've not been able to do it), the wubi-installer also didn't work (It wouldn't move past looking for a DC drive, or couldn't find the iso file on the HD).
Perhaps we can install from an external USB CD drive, does anyone have one lying around?
2) I need some help with wiring - we need to move a LAN cable from 1 room to another, this requires us to drill a small hole in a wall (suggested by the manager). I have a drill, does any one have a 6 to 8 inch masonry drill bit? and the tool to add the RJ45 connector to the LAN cable?
3) I have a 4 port router, some LAN cables and power strips would be appreciated.
Thanks & regards
Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows.
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Ubuntu-us-dc