[DC LoCo] Network wiring help needed at Peoples Media Center

flint at flint.com flint at flint.com
Sun Nov 11 17:10:06 GMT 2007

Dear Kevin,

Needless to say, this is the sort of thing I live for.

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Kevin Cole wrote:

> Ryme finally received her Verizon DSL kit (after Verizon / UPS lost it).
> I've spent four hours trying to diagnose networking problems and
> am giving up. Al Fishawy Cafe apparently lacks heat... I'm finally
> cold.

We are painfully familiar with the heat thing here at BOSI in Norther
Vermont...

> We have internet when connected to a computer with a known, good
> CAT-5 cable or via wireless

It could be worse...

> The problem is that there are lots of computers, hubs, routers,
> switches, and cables that go every which way, and I've got no
> skill in tracking down problems.  Wireless works, but the wired
> connections to the various machines here are in need of serious
> diagnostics.

Kevin, you need two pairs of equipment.

First pair:
Progressive Electronics Classic Tone & Probe Kit
This pair is not cheap.  The price is about $100.00, worth every penny.

This puts a tone on the wire you are looking for.  This gadget is the
reason that there are no labels in telephone closets, they do not need
them.

The second pair:
Flint Cable tester.

This is tricky, since I custom build these.  I will post the plans to make
them and show you how they work as soon as possible.

> Can someone else step up to the plate?

with these four items you can step up to the plate yourself.

Regards,

Flint

/************************************

Paul Flint