[DC LoCo] Al Fishawy (again)

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 30 04:17:28 GMT 2007

ARTHUR MARTINSON wrote:

> Hi. My previous email came back to me as having been rejected from
> the list.

Odd. Did you send from an address other than the one you're subscribed
with?

> The next time anyone is up near Al Fishawy please let me know. I'd
> like to buy dinner and ask for help with the alt install (ncurses)
> of fluxbuntu on a laptop. I know the partition setup screens are
> going to be too daunting because I want to go dual-boot with 50-50
> fluxbuntu/XP.  Once things are settled and verified to be running
> correctly, I think I could THEN install a / and a /home myself.

Never done the fluxbuntu install but I've done other text-based
installs (Red Hat).  Jeff Elkner (and some of his students?) have
done the fluxbuntu thang.  Matt, did you turn him on to that?  I
owe Ryme et al a visit north.  So, let's try to set something up.

> NOW I have to try to capture and xsession-error file for a bug I
> wrote.  It sends the laptop into CRAWL mode.

Eh?  Interesting.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by
"capture".  The .xsession-error file "just happens" as part of
doing business.  Any idea what you might have done?  In the
terminal window, "top" at the shell prompt can be informative:
While it's running, watch it a while and then type:

 * upper-case T to sort by time
 * upper-case P to sort by processor usage
 * upper-case M to sort by memory usage
 * lower-case q to quit

After the T, P, or M, watch for a couple of seconds.

Another useful command is

  ps auxwww | less

for finding out about processes.  If you find what you believe to be
the culprit, you can

  killall -15 <<program>>
  killall -15 <<program>>

(replacing <<program>> with the name of the evil
program)

The second one should say "<<program>>: no process killed". If it
doesn't say that, you can try a less polite version:

  killall -9 <<program>>
  killall -9 <<program>>

A -15 is supposed to be somewhat "gentle" and a -9 somewhat "rude".

I hope that leads you somewhere in the right direction...