[DC LoCo] Ubuntu's on Flash

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 21:55:48 GMT 2007

If you use the Alternate CD, you should be able to install Ubuntu just
fine.  The installed system will definitely be faster than the LiveCD, but
Xubuntu is still probably a good idea.  I have gotten Ubuntu to run on 192MB
of RAM before though.

On Dec 27, 2007 4:44 PM, ARTHUR MARTINSON <arthur.martinson at verizon.net>
wrote:

> Since I am a new member, I hope that this idea/topic has not been
> emailed or talked-about "to death", as it were.
>
> I came across a web site with the 4 'buntus on USB flash drives: Ubuntu,
> Edubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu. They even have a BootCD that comes with
> the USB flash for older BIOSes that do not support flash boot-up and
> simply for those who do not want to fiddle with the BIOS.
>
> I am undecided as to whether testing via the LiveCD or this way is
> better/safer, but I just wanted to pass on the info.
>
> http://www.FlashPCs.com/
>
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
>
> Also, I am VERYnervous about partioning this laptop 50%-50% XP/Buntu.
>
> My 3 year old "emachines" laptop DID boot-up with an Ubuntu
> LiveCD.....BUT it has only 256MB RAM which barely let it run. I have the
> Xubuntu LiveCD and am thinking about trying that out tonight.
>
> I hope the info can be used.
>
> Marti

Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169