[DC LoCo] Reaching Out

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 25 19:59:56 GMT 2007

Hi all,

First, I'd like to remind one and all that Axial Tilt is the Reason
for the Season. Ho-ho-ho. ;-)

Jeremy and I grabbed a beer at Murphy's a couple of days ago, and I
promised to pursue further meetings, connections, etc...

Jeff and I are supposed to go a-beer-ing before resuming school. ;-)
Theoretically when he returns from NJ, I think.

Flint, I sent you a brief note (yesterday?) re wanting to talk.
Jeremy's interested in digging into Arlington politics (as well as
already being involved w/ the Obama campaign), and has some ideas
regarding open-source, local news, political action, blogging, etc.  I
told him what a trouble-maker you can be and how that might be of some
use to him.  Plus that, a marketing guy and an independent consultant
who both deal w/ government-like bureaucracies, I think you'll speak
the same language.  Speaking of which, I'm thinking: August, he may be
able to speak to the school policy wonks, for the conference.

Gallaudet's hired the new conference planner.  I met her briefly at
the holiday party, and said "We need to talk when we get back to
work."

Jeremy... you're not on the mailing list (I don't think. I'll double-
check).  What we like people to do is create a little profile/bio on
http://launchpad.net/ and then join the "dcteam". Once done, we add
you to the mailing list.  However, given that we've already met, I'm
not particularly fussy about the order in which things are done.
(It's just that if people are genuinely involved, it helps to be able
to go the Community Council when we need stuff and say, "Yep.
Launchpad shows a reasonably robust membership.")

Mackenzie, I'm assuming you're north for the break, yes?  When do you
return to the area?  And thanks for the Zareason tip.  I've passed that
on to a recent member who lives up by Al Fishawy, Arthur Martinson.  He's
going a different route, but I hadn't heard of Zareason before.

Speaking of Al Fishawy, I'm sorry I didn't get back to Ryme on a holiday
gathering there, but it was a wee bit short notice.  Any thoughts on
heading up there as a gang again?  That also reminds me, we... probably
"I"... need to check on how Tony Brown at CCNV is doing with his computer
refurbishing classes and his Ubuntu classes.

Sanjay.  Since I'm writing to everyone else, and I kept meaning to
write back to you... I brought the boxes of CD's to the library.  The
box on top is the only Gutsy box in the mix.  However, I grabbed one
each of the following Ubuntu-x86, Ubuntu-i64, Kubuntu-x86,
Kubuntu-i64, and Edubuntu, which I was going to hand you in person,
but ended up walking home with.  Jen or I can drop those at the
library if you'll be there in the next couple of days.  (If not, I'll
be there on Saturday, and just leave them w/ the others.)

Jen still hasn't gotten her present, the XO computer, but already many
people are lining up to see it.  She should charge admission once it
arrives...  In particular, the international outreach arm of Gallaudet
is very interested, which I hope bodes well for the August conference,
in terms of "official" university support.

And that's it for the moment.  Enjoy whatever it is you're enjoying.
--
 Kevin Cole                    |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7   (GPG/PGP)
 Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team     |     WWW: http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/

           ". ! 1 |" -- Rene Magritte's computer