[CoLoCo] networking question

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Tue Jun 12 22:18:48 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Ian Santopietro <isantop at gmail.com> wrote:

> What you want to do is plug the cable modem into the *router* first, then
> plug the router into the *hub*. Hubs and switches are essentially port
> replicators, and will basically serve to give you additional ports on an
> existing router.

That might be my issue. I think my router is dead. My modem is in the
basement and all my home network wires terminate there. I have another
router in my living room for wifi and TV but I can't plug the modem into
that router as they are in different rooms. I'm trying to use just the hub
with everything plugged into it, but it doesn't seem to like being plugged
into the modem regardless of how I have the MDI switch set. Maybe that's
because it won't work that way. Sounds like what I need is an 8 port or
more router.

Thank,

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)