[CoLoCo] Java on Chrome OS

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Fri Jan 27 03:30:19 UTC 2012

That's kind of cool actually. I think our district is toying with full
Google apps for mail and calendaring as well but they are also locked in
and rather inflexible. The HS is loving the Chrome OS and is planning to
buy more but IT is holding purchases hostage and pushing MS solutions until
the pilot is done. According to the teachers, however, the verdict is in
and Chrome is a win.

Still would like a java solution since too many education tools rely on it.

Jim

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Chris Fedde <chris at fedde.us> wrote:

> Our kids school district (Littleton) suffers from a number of problems
> with vendor and student technology lock in that seem to require
> microsoft products to enable them.  Infinite Campus for example seems
> to be IE bound as do a few other staff tools that support the smart
> boards, calculators and document projectors.   Having said that the
> whole district converted to google for email, document management and
> calendaring this semester.  No more Outlook at least. All in all it
> still seems to be a mixed bag on overall "linux-ability" in our
> district.
>
> chris
>

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Jim Hutchinson <jim at ubuntu-rocks.org>
> wrote:
> >> Yeah, the Phet folks confirmed that the apps are local and likely the
> cause
> >> of them not working in chrome. Bummer. They did say they might port to
> html5
> >> but currently just a discussion.
> >>

> > I wonder if Google could be persuaded to add Java support to the
> > Native Client feature of Chrome and Chrome OS.
> >
> > --
> > Michael "TheZorch" Haney
> > https://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/
> >
> > Let Hollywood Die, call your Congressman now and tell them its not
> > their job to save the failing business model of a industry that
> > refuses to adapt.
> >
> > Break some Windows, bring freedom to your PC. www.ubuntu.com
> >
> > --

Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)