[CoLoCo] Open Source Playground @ TIE

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Tue Mar 29 16:56:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Neal McBurnett <neal at bcn.boulder.co.us>wrote:

> I've helped a few times in the past, and I highly recommend this to
> other folks.  I'm not sure of my schedule at this point, and the early
> part of the week might be easier for me.

Thanks for the ideas Neal and the plug. Based on what I know so far it is
pretty much my space to do whatever I want with. I am still not clear on
whether or not they are providing equipment so once I figure that out I'll
know where to go next. Obviously, if there are no computers there then it
will require some creative solutions to set it up without spending any
money.

I've been pushing for this for a while but I alone don't have the resources
or knowledge to pull this off all by myself. I'm hoping we can get a number
of people involved at various levels. Please consider volunteering some time
to this as it is one of the best ways to get the word out. Schools are
getting more and more serious about this. Eaton, for example, is dual
booting all computers and seriously looking at migrating to a near FOSS only
setup. Budget cuts at the state level are severely impacting school
districts and frivolous expenses like MS licenses are going to be more and
more scrutinized. Now is a good chance to show the benefits of FOSS.

Anyway, here is my vision. We, meaning all interested, will set up a
schedule of events. We have all day Wed and Thurs (June 22-23) there. I
would like to schedule several demonstrations or guided sessions throughout
those two days leaving time in between for open exploration with a few
people there to offer assistance as needed. Please offer suggestions on
types of sessions. Here are few ideas:

Linux basics
Science explorations (thinks like Stellarium, Kalzium and others)
Math explorations (Kig, Maxima, etc.)
Other subjects?
Thin clients for network admins
Netbooks? (probably a presentation since we most likely wouldn't have these
on hand)

Anything else?

Thanks again.

--