[CoLoCo] Linux - Oh how I missed you.

David Overcash funnylookinhat at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 05:07:57 UTC 2011

Ok - So I've been using Ubuntu and Linux with all of my servers for work for
a LONG time now, and used to run it as my Desktop OS as well... but for a
long series of reasons (ok - two... Flash & Games) I ditched it and ran to
the land of Apple.  Bad decision - I know.  Before long I was stuck with a
Macbook because I needed to write iPhone applications for work.  Ok ok -
Flash forward to... 2 weeks ago!

I purchased a new IBM Thinkpad and intend to put Ubuntu on it!  It's
arriving any day now, and I'm more than excited to finally be coming full
circle with my misguided journey.  However - I've been out of the desktop
loop for quite some time - so I have a few questions.

1 - 32 or 64 Bit?  Keep in mind I need Flash - and would prefer to be able
to watch Hulu and whatnot...  last I heard the 64-Bit Adobe Flash didn't
work with several online video players.  Also - I plan on running WINE to
play World of Warcraft - will trying to run everything in 64-Bit be a total
pain?

2 - IDEs & Editors - My job is 70% programming, so I spend a ton of time
writing PHP, HTML, CSS, and Javascript - with a bunch of other time spent on
Android applications.  I know that Eclipse is the way to go for Android -
but what would you suggest for working on web servers for code?  I prefer to
work directly on the server (through SSH) as we don't have any repositories
of any sort setup.

3 - Music Players - What's the best?  I spend most of my day listening to
mp3 streams of Japanese Radio ( http://japanaradio.com if you're curious ) -
but also have a ton of mp3 files.  Is Banshee still a good option?  What
else is good?

Ok - That's all... thanks guys!

Cheers,
David