[CoLoCo] Unity vs. Gnome ( was Natty Narwhal (11.04) Release Party )

Ian Santopietro isantop at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 17:41:54 UTC 2011

Hi Aaron.

I think some of your issues are fixed with the latest versions of Unity and
Ubuntu:

   - Any kind of extra options in the dock for a running application. For
   example, I can't set my pidgin status to away in the Dock.

I think the point here is for applications to control their status via the
messaging menu. I'm one of the Empathy people, so i can't speak for Pidgin.
However, I'm sure there's someway to get it to work. Quicklists would work
for that too, though.

   - I can't manually add applications to the dock. I have to start them
   elsewhere and then tell them to say in the Dock once they're running.

You should be able to drag directly from the Applications lense to the Dock
now.

   - I wish the Dock would appear if I moved my mouse anywhere on the left
   of the screen, as opposed to only the top left corner.

I think they're doing this because of usability concerns. There are a lot of
things parked on the left hand edge of the screen, and I don't think they
want it to be activated accidentally. Pressing super should unhide it.

   - Likewise, if I want to change the options that are passed to the
   application which is in the Dock, I can't do that like I could do with other
   launchers.

That may be a bug. I'm sure if they're planning on implementing that or not,
so it's valid.

   - I no longer have a CPU monitor in the top gnome bar!

I'd be surprised of no one implements an indicator for that.

   - I no longer can use the netspeed applet, which gave me the speed of my
   upload and downloads in the top gnome bar!

See above.

   - Currently, none of my apps are configured to use the new notification
   area. I tried to white list some of the apps to use the old notification
   area, but I couldn't get that to work.

Try running dconf-editor. Navigate to /desktop/Unity/panel, then change the
systray-whitelist value to "all".

   - With the GNOME shell, if I want to run WarCraft 3 (with true
   full-screen) in Wine, I can just rock a 'metacity --replace' and then I was
   ready to play. I tried starting Unity-2D, but that seemed to mess stuff up.
   The answer was to log out and then log back in with Unity-2D selected and
   then it worked fine. By-the-way, my wine install got hosed along the way in
   the upgrades, so I'll need to reinstall. I guess that's what I get for using
   Alphas! :)

Try running metacity --replace from unity too. That should have the same
effect as in shell, though it won't start Unity 2D.

I hope I've cleared some things up there. Let me know how all of that goes!

Ian Santopietro

"Eala Earendel enlga beorohtast
 Ofer middangeard monnum sended"

Pa gur yv y porthaur?